Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Mommy: The Job

I played hooky from work today. I'm exhausted, run down, have a headache, and am nearly nineteen weeks pregnant. I work full time and have a two year old. I decided to stay home today when I realized that I have not had a full day to myself for the past two years, three months, one week and five days. That's a lot of time to go without having a single day to your self. When this next little one arrives, I'm sure things are going to get exponentially busier, especially since I'm planning on only taking 6 weeks of maternity leave before returning to work. Yikes.

I've had the pleasure of seeing a few friends go from one child to two. I've read about their sleepless nights, their failed efforts to balance the needs of two little beings, their mounting stress as they realize that they can't possibly do it all. I have a pretty good idea what I'm in for, and it isn't going to be pretty. I'm sure there will be times I'll be asking myself why we decided to have two children. I'm hoping that the times that I question are fewer than the times that I look at their sweet little faces and realize that Mommy: The Job is far more rewarding than a full night's sleep.

1 comment:

Eileen said...

only 6 weeks of mat leave? Oh man, that's brutal! Can you finagle any more? Glad you got a day to yourself. I'd be interested in one of those...