Monday, August 11, 2008

The Heat is On, The Heat is Ah-On. The Heat is....On.

T minus 4 days and counting till the move. Crazy. For the past two weekends, Husband and I have been sorting through spices with expiration dates of 2003, hauling car-loads of stuff to the recycle center, and generally being in awe of the total amount of crapola we have accumulated. I mean, really, does Husband need 20 old socks and 15 old boxers to use as rags? Am I really going to read all 300 pounds of wedding magazines ever again? For the love.

So in between packing, we've been trying to cram in every bit of A2 that we can before we move. We went to Zola for brunch yesterday (Lily ate half of my omelet but wouldn't touch the yum waffle we ordered for her.) and then went to an awesome park that is built like a huge wooden castle maze. So fun. We got burritos from BTB, sushi from Yotsuba, and I even got my old college staple--a Chipati from Pizza House. Yum.

We've also been packing in all the time with friends that is possible, given the amount of she-ite we have to do. Last week, Lily and I had back to back to back playdates with some amazing women and their gorgeous kiddos. Friday night, we went to a going away party for a friend who gets to move somewhere much cooler than The Hills. Saturday night we hung out with our friend (and his lovely girlfriend) that may be the only one who has outlasted us in A2. We've seen so many of our friends leave over the years that it's really strange that we're now the ones who are leaving. "Are you excited?" people have asked me. Ummm, nope. While I'm excited to have my commute drop from 45 miles to 8, and to have a bigger house, and to actually have a yard, I'm not excited to live in suburbia.

Last night I asked Husband if he thought that any liberals live in The Hills. "Maybe," he said. "Hopefully...". I suggested that we put an Obama sign in our yard right after we move in and then see who still welcomes us to the neighborhood. Husband didn't think that would be a good idea, and that we might alienate some people. Oh, dear. Let's hope that we find at least a few like-minded peeps in The Hills. I promise to try to be open-minded and not assume that everyone will be plastic surgery sculpted cat-people with names like Buffy, Dick and Mitzie.

2 comments:

usurper said...

I hope you were able to squeeze in all of the A2 stuff you wanted to do!

Eileen said...

Aha, at last I think I understand what the "A2" is all about! We're in the burbs here, sorta; we miss the hipness, but oh to not be in the car for an extra 90 minutes a day... it'll be worth it. And go for the Obama signs! ;) Hope the move went as well as such a thing can.