Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Safe Sand? Raising kids in a toxic world.


I never would have thought that as a parent I'd google things like 'safe sand' and receive almost daily emails from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission warning of toys that may cause my child bodily harm. Seriously, I don't think parents of us Gen-Xers had to worry about lead-laden Barbies, roofie-laced Rubik's Cubes and G.I. Joe dolls with guns that can actually shoot kids' heads off. So yesterday, in the interest of my daughter and the fact that I don't really want her inhaling sandbox dust that will promote tumor growth in her lungs, I found out that safe sand is sold by a company in California. Its only $60.00 for 50 pounds of the stuff, shipped. Too bad the tiny sandbox I plan on purchasing holds 200 pounds of sand. Hmmmm...should I spend $240 on safe sand for Lily? I guess it just infuriates me that I even have to make such a decision. Next thing we know, we'll all be wearing gas masks and enclose ourselves in big plastic bubbles. Except then we'd find out that our plastic bubbles are made of plastic containing BPA. I think really the only thing that's safe to say is that we're all pretty much gonna be screwed.

No comments: